Monday, March 28, 2011

Response to Diana's "Commit the Crime, Do the Time!"


Hi Diana!

Great post. I like that you also thought of Akon. When we were sitting in class discussing music and the influence lyrics and performers have on society, my mind was drawn to Lil Wayne, 50 Cent, groups of rappers such as D12, G Unit and Murder, Inc. and then on the other side of the spectrum – Justin Bieber, Taylor Swift and Rihanna. As I write this piece, I am currently listening to the Lil Wayne recording ‘3 Peat’. I am not sure if you are familiar with this song, but every second word for the first 40 seconds or so is ‘motherfuck’ and ‘nigga’. He then goes on to say that ‘suck my d%$k b$tch, swallow my thoughts, if its too nasty then spit it back at me’. To be honest, I am incredibly embarrassed to be even listening to this. The song goes on to speak of hurting his girlfriend if she doesn’t give him what he wants. Although this song does not bring up the idea of not ‘snitching’ as Akon’s does, it instead is absolutely disgusting and offensive to not only women, but also African Americans. Other ‘crew’s’ (I really don’t know what to call them, sorry I’m not up with the rap lingo) such as G Unit and Murder, Inc. create not only violent music about gangs, guns, murder, drugs and women, but even in their group names they portray violent connotations (G Unit = gun it). In 2003, one man was killed in Toronto following a 50 Cent concert, and another shot  following a 50 Cent concert in Montreal. In fact, a Canadian MP attempted to ban 50 Cent from performing in Canada and the only way that he could go through with his tour was to obtain a temporary resident's permit. Other countries have also banned 50 Cent including the UK banning his Bulletproof video game and Reebok ad of him counting to 9 (the number of times he was shot). 
         Differing, Biebs, Swift and Rhianna’s music is not violent in the least and is at the top of the pops. This causes me to wonder, does violence really sell? Although Lil Wayne and 50 Cent are successful rappers, it was their less explicit songs that were ranked in the charts. Although some still have explicit sexual undertones (as found in Lollipop and Candy Shop ... funny they both are about sweets haha), violence is not at the core of the songs. Now as I sit finishing up this post, my iTunes has shuffled to the Spice Girls – hmmm... that’s much better.

Rap, Music, Violence and G-Unit Rapper 50 Cent
http://www.clarkyboy.com/rapmusic.htm

Ban for Ad in UK
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4556093.stm



3 Peat - Lil Wayne (please note there is explicit content)



Lollipop - Lil Wayne




1 comment:

  1. Nice post. Response and history lesson at http://lambgd.blogspot.com/2011/03/response-to-do-crime.html

    ReplyDelete