Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Response to "Jersey Shore and Dustin Kidd" on Elona's Blog

Please find below my response to Elona's blog post located here:
http://ekhoy.blogspot.com/


     I really like your idea of using Jersey Shore (JS) as an example for Dustin Kidd’s arguments. When a fellow classmate mentioned that people claim to watch reality TV ironically, but not actually ‘like’ it and continue to watch it, this is the first program that I thought of. I know a lot of people who also watch reality TV, specifically Jersey Shore (including my little brother as well), and say that they only watch it because the characters are ‘so ridiculous’.  However, each week they continue to watch it. In response to your breakdown of Kidd’s steps and their relation to JS, I have a few comments particularly on creating norms, rituals and social change.

            
    In looking at a cultural artifact such as Jersey Shore, the characters, as you outline, develop a set of norms that we see reflected in the lives of the viewers. Terms such as ‘GTL’ (gym, tanning, laundry) and calling yourself ‘The Situation’ have become mantras for young men who watch the show, while female viewers see the female characters acting and dressing promiscuously with skin tones that come close to the colour orange.
            
      In speaking of rituals and social change, the rituals of the cast on Jersey Shore have formed rituals for the viewers and inspired a change of societal views. As mentioned previously, the development of what can be considered normal on the show is emphasized in the rituals of the individuals and directly influences the viewers perception of how one should act, dress, etc. You mention particular rituals of the housemates, however I think of the group of young people who collect on the couch every Thursday night (I think it is on Thursdays?) to watch the program and follow their every move.
            
    Coming from an Italian background that I am very proud of, I feel that these individuals are making a bad name for the rest of us and do not reflect what it is to be a young person of Italian descent. Although this reflection is only about Jersey Shore, many other programs on television promote a similar type of life style. For example, Sex and the City sparked a revolution in the 1990s with elements of the series falling under all of Kidd’s steps. However, I will save that analysis for my own blog posting.

Thanks for the post!
- K

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I had to delete my first post because I don't know how to edit comments...but anyways here's the edited version of what I had...

    "Coming from an Italian background that I am very proud of, I feel that these individuals are making a bad name for the rest of us and do not reflect what it is to be a young person of Italian descent."

    I really don't think that Jersey Shore is meant to promote how great role models these kids are. In reality, it's a satire of the population of "guidos" who live in Jersey Shore- the same way Ned Flanders is satirized as being the holier-than-thou Christian. Sure there are those Italian-Americans that are annoyed with the way these characters are portrayed and the bad name it promotes, but at the end of day I'm sure most of it is scripted unless these people are actually that ridiculous (in which case, they will all get liver disease, skin disease, etc. because of their excessive over-consumption of everything that is bad for you in high doses). If anything Jersey Shore is showing people how not to live, how not to act, how not to disrespect other people (juice monkey, grenade- throwing punches, etc.) it's just a matter of the VIEWER being able to IDENTIFY how the actions of the Jersey Shore cast isn't the best way to live life. Then it's just a question of asking whether the audience of JS is smart enough to recognize that, which I think is sometimes where the worry begins. If youth (13-18)are watching it, will they be prompted to act accordingly because they see it on tv? I knew a girl who wasn't allowed to watch the Simpsons because of the foul language and minor violence (strangling. What will JS do to the youngest generation that is watching this show? Desensitize them to this type of lifestyle? Be tempted to be part of the supposed norms JS creates? These are more daunting questions I think because we don't really know the answers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Georgia,

    I understand the entertainment value of programs like Jersey Shore, however I have heard comments to me saying that "all young italian people are the same - ginos and ginas (or guidos and guidettes) - they like hair gel, fast cars, going to wasaga beach in the summer, live in woodbridge, wear kappa, etc, etc".. i was very offended by those and even though the show may be scripted, I believe that MTV then is promoting a 'bad rep' for young italian americans. On TV today, not many reality programs take a particular ethnic group and make a show out of it. Honestly, the only one i can think of is Jersey Shore.. I asked a few of my classmates today 'what is the first thing that you think of when i say Italians on TV?' ... 8/10 said "Jersey Shore". To add, I totally agree with your point regarding desensitizing the younger viewers. Other MTV programs such as 16 and Pregnant, Teen Mom and My Super Sweet Sixteen glorify teen pregnancy and elaborate parties. Really, I think that it is not just Jersey Shore that bothers me, but this entire MTV culture.

    - K

    ReplyDelete